[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: JavaScript to grab email (fwd)

On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, George Spafford wrote:

> >From: Jyri Kaljundi <jk@digit.ee>
> >To: cypherpunks@toad.com
> >Subject: JavaScript to grab email
> >Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 16:33:21 +0200 (EET)
> >
> >Another annoying feature in JavaScript and Netscape. Have a look at
> ><http://www.popco.com/grabtest.htm>
>

> Well, if you want to take an Orwellian perspective, a person could write a
> script in Java to access all kinds of information on the local drive(s),
> even take it a step further and gather information from all attached drives
> the host has rights to.

Have you done this?  Has anyone else?  "Hooked on Java" and all the other
info I get from Sun and others suggests local drive read and write access
is only available to "trusted" applets (presumably a future Netscape pref
setting).  Do you have any proof to support your claim (besides the recent
posting about connecting to any host, which, I agree, is very scary).

Robert Muhlestein
Teleport Creative Services
CGI Guy
cgi@teleport.com